The American Bar Association develops My Health Care Wishes App
August 8, 2014
The ABA has developed an app to make sure your health care wishes are easily accessible in times of need. Rothman Gordon has always advocated that estate planning is not something we do for ourselves – it is something we do for our loved ones. This app is a great way to make sure your wishes are known. They even provide a wallet card so the hospital or physician can access your documents. Don’t have a smart phone? They also provide a card that lets you designate a proxy who can store the information on his or her phone.
The free Lite version can store the health care directive that Rothman Gordon prepared for you in PDF format on your phone – no digging through files and drawers.
Health Care Wishes Lite version (Google Play | Apple App Store)
- Confidentiality of information is protected because the data resides only on your smartphone, not on any server or cloud service
- Grabs contact information from your contacts list
- Summary of health care wishes can be shown or sent via text or email to health care providers
- Allows import of advance directive document(s) via email or upload from a computer
- Emails your advance directive document to loved ones and health care professionals and/or facilities
- Stores key contact information on primary and secondary proxies, and primary care physician
- Allows editing and updating documents as you age and your health status changes
- Keeps track of document versions by date entered
- Wallet card download available
- Includes a PDF summary worksheet for ease in collecting the information needed to customize a folder
- Opt-in to annual email reminders if you’d like a little nudge to check that your saved information is still current
The $3.99 pro version offers unlimited storage of documents, so you can include your will, living will, DNR orders, etc. plus emergency contacts with click to call features.
Health Care Wishes Pro version (Google Play | Apple App Store)
- Unlimited storage of documents and people profiles?
- Email stored documents to a health care provider — be prepared in case of emergency to advocate for your loved ones, no matter where you? are
- Store additional details about you and your loved ones: specialists, emergency contacts, insurance, and medical conditions?
- The Personal and Family Manager allows you to show the relationships between profiles you’ve stored?
- Click-to-call and click-to-email feature gives you an instant connection to those whose profiles you’ve stored?
- Syncing to your DropBox account to allow for easy importing and exporting of PDF documents?
- ABA multi-state power of attorney toolkit PDF for use in most states
- More resource tips and links to help you plan smart and effectively!
- PLUS, all the features listed below in the Lite version
Dealing with a medical crisis can be overwhelming. Having an app like this loaded and ready to go at a moment’s notice on your phone may provide peace of mind and also help to ensure your wishes are followed. For more information, visit: http://www.americanbar.org/groups/law_aging/MyHealthCareWishesApp.html
If you have not created a health care directive or have not updated an existing one in the past seven years, consider contacting us at (412) 338-1140 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment. If we have already created your estate plan and you need a pdf version for the app, please contact Wendy Tarantine at (412) 338-1172 or WWtarantine@rothmangordon.com.