Call(412) 338-1100 Visit Us


Oops! I changed my mind. Can I withdraw my Social Security retirement claim and reapply later?

July 19, 2023

By Shelley W. Elovitz, Esquire

On occasion, a person will put in a claim for Social Security retirement benefits only to realize it is disadvantageous at this time. If you change your mind about receiving benefits, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim if it has been less than 12 months since you were first entitled to benefits.

If you withdraw your claim, you may re-apply at a future date but you can only cancel once.

To withdraw your claim, you must meet all of the requirements, including:

  • Making the request in writing
  • Mail or fax the official Social Security Request for Withdrawal of Application form
  • If you’ve begun receiving payments, you will have to repay the money you and your family received, as well as money we withheld for Medicare premiums, taxes, and garnishments.


Share This Article