Business & Corporate Law
Business and Corporate Law Counsel for Private Companies
Rothman Gordon has focused its business and corporate law practice on closely-held companies, family-owned businesses, and financial institutions throughout Western Pennsylvania. Our clients rely upon us for pragmatic solutions to a wide variety of problems, from structuring complicated transactions to resolving internal disputes. Drawing upon their broad understanding business and corporate law, as well as our Primerus network, our lawyers advise local, regional, national and international businesses through the entire business life cycle.
Our business and corporate law attorneys have carved a niche serving closely-held and family businesses throughout Western Pennsylvania. We understand that family and shareholder dynamics bring their own set of challenges. We represent not only companies, but families and individual shareholders, and work with you to help your business succeed. We are proud to be a sponsor of the IUP Center for Family Business.
We work with you to ensure your corporate documents facilitate succession planning and discuss what events you should anticipate and plan that may influence your succession plan. We know that passing a family business to the next generation can be tricky and work with our Estates, Trust & Taxation group to create a personal plan for you and your business.
We can assist you in evaluating tax considerations, opportunities in a business cycle, and your personal goals in order to optimize your business’ growth potential and choose the right entity formation for you.
Whether merging affiliated companies as part of a corporate restructuring or negotiating a merger or acquisition, we have handled deals of all sizes. Active not only in Western Pennsylvania, we can also call upon our fellow Primerus law firms to co-counsel on M&A across the U.S. and around the globe.
Trademarks and Copyrights
Our business and corporate law attorneys can counsel on the filing of trademarks and copyrights to protect your brand and intellectual property.
Creditors’ Rights and Bankruptcies
Rothman Gordon has counseled creditors and debtors on reorganization, restructuring of business loans, and business workouts. We have represented creditors in Chapter 7, 11, and 13 proceedings. The firm has also participated in commercial collections for financial institutions and other commercial entities.
Rothman Gordon assists its clients with all aspects of their business, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Formation. We assist clients in choosing the proper business structure so as to minimize tax exposure, effect greater management efficiencies, reduce liability exposure, and increase growth potential. Once this structure is chosen, we assist with actual formation and compliance with ongoing corporate governance and regulatory responsibilities.
- Investment Capital. Our attorneys are experienced in assisting clients in securing private and institutional financing as well as other innovative means for financing growth.
- Negotiating and Drafting Commercial Agreements. We review existing contracts and draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, including leases, franchise agreements, distribution agreements, employment agreements, web development and design agreements, independent contractor agreements, and many others.
- Protection of Intellectual Property. We assist clients in identifying and protecting intellectual property and trade secrets and assist in developing short and long-term strategies to protect these assets. Additionally, we draft and negotiate license agreements, non-competition agreements, non-solicitation agreements, non-disclosure agreements, non-use agreements and enforce these agreements through litigation. We also assist clients in securing trademark and service mark protection.
- Structuring and Negotiating Business Transactions. Our attorneys are highly skilled in structuring and negotiating various forms of business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other business combinations. We also assist clients with the purchases and sales of assets, stock and various other types of transactions.
- Shareholder Disputes. Our attorneys represent corporate clients and individuals involved in shareholder disputes or other types of business conflicts and in developing creative and efficient solutions to these complex issues.
- Employer Counseling. Our attorneys assist our business clients with compliance of federal and state laws with respect to the hiring, retaining and termination of their employees.